Ahead of the 2016 manifesto launch of the National Democratic Congress, President John Mahama on Tuesday unveiled highlights of the document with which he is seeking a second term in this year’s December 7 elections.
The document titled: ‘Changing Lives, Transforming Ghana,’ is structured in four thematic areas: Putting People First, Strong Resilient Economy for Job Creation, Expanding social and economic infrastructure and Transparent and Accountable Governance.
Below are some of the key promises in the manifestoe which will be launched on Saturday.
– Government will prioritize mental health in the second term of John Mahama. In line with this, the NDC plans to build two more psychiatric hospitals in the Ashanti and Northern regions and develop the Pantang Mental Hospital to a first class mental health facility in Ghana
– The NDC intends to build 20 more polyclinics in Ashanti, Western, Eastern and Upper East regions.
– We are going to upgrade the Tema General Hospital and make it a more complete hospital
– Government will set up colleges of education to train early childhood teachers
– Government will set up technical and vocational centre in Agona Swedru to help train teachers for that sector
– We will rebrand technical and vocational education so people don’t look down on it.
– We will increase the capacity for technical training by 30%
– Construct a100-bed new hospital at Adenta in Accra
– We will refurbish the Azumah Nelson sports complex to serve as recreational centres
– We will build two new stadiums, in the Upper East and Upper West regions
– We will provide accommodation for teachers who will accept postings to rural areas
– We increased the number of midwives from 500 to 2000
– We will build new stadia in the Upper West, Eastern, Volta and Brong Ahafo Regions
– We will introduced a new motorized bike for the physically challenged persons
– We shall introduce industrial salt production, caustic salt production and chlorine salt production
– Farmers service centres will be established all over the country
– We will construct storage facilities so that we cut down post harvest losses
– We will commence the construction of the Accra, Kumasi and Tamale outer ring roads
– We will construct phase 2 of the Kumasi International Airport
– We will commence work on the Tema-Akosombo railway line
– We will expand the Mahama buses so that more people will have access
– We will build suburban railway lines from Kumasi to Ejisu
– Government will support the revival of the Black Star shipping line as a subsidiary of the GPHA
– We are going to establish a jewelry production centre in Tepa, in the Ashanti Region
– Every district will get a machine for shredding and compacting plastics
-We will provide every Ghanaian with a national ID card out of an IPRS.
-We will develop an eco-tourism strategy for the Western wildlife corridor
– We will complete the Ghana-Mauritius IT park
– All public schools will be identified and made to use appropriate and indigenous technology for sanitation
– Set up a commission of enquiry to look into the creation of more regions. Intends to increase it from 10 to 15