The Food and Drugs Authority (FDA) has explained what might have killed three siblings from Abavana Down in Accra, after their parents sprayed their room with a chemical to kill insects.
The fumigation tablet, TOPSTOXIN, the FDA said is a pesticide used for the control of insects in stored grain, process food and feeds.
A statement issued by the FDA on Monday said it immediately dispatched officers as part of its safety monitoring activities to the 37 Military Hospital, where the kids died on Friday, to ascertain the cause of death.
“Preliminary checks by the FDA have revealed that the family used the said pesticide (TOPSTOXIN) which has aluminium phosphide as its active ingredient.
“Aluminium phosphide is used as a fumigant to protect stored grains from insects and rodents, which makes the product an agrochemical and not a household chemical,” the statement explained..
In the presence of moisture, aluminium phosphide releases phosphine which is highly toxic, it added.
FDA said although the product is an agro chemical, which does not fall under the regulations of the FDA, it is liaising with the Environmental Protection Agency and the Agriculture Ministry to investigate the source and distribution channels for the product.
Meanwhile, the FDA has admonished the general public to carefully read the labels of all products and follow the direction for use before using or consuming any regulated products to avoid injuries and allergies which may lead to deaths.
Source: 3news.com | Ghana