Category Archives: News

Fair-minded journalists are becoming rare – Rawlings

By | News | No Comments

President Rawlings with Kaba’s family

Ghana’s former President, Flt Lt Jerry John Rawlings has in a tribute to the late Kwadwo Asare Baffour Acheampong, popularly known as KABA, stated that journalists with a fair-minded approach to issues and with a good sense of balance in terms of objectivity are becoming rare.

He said, “a few too many media personnel are serving one purpose or another which seems to undermine the integrity of the profession. And indeed when somebody like this (KABA) dies then we must consider it a serious loss.

The former President made the assertions when a delegation comprising the family of the late Asempa FM broadcaster and staff of the Multimedia Group called on him to formerly notify him of his demise and outline arrangements for his funeral.

The delegation which was led by Nana Ansah Kwao IV, Akwamu Adumasahene and Nana Oteng Bosomprah, told Flt Lt Rawlings that KABA had served his country in a public capacity hence it was proper that they officially apprise national statesmen about his demise.

The former President noted that though he did not personally know KABA, he related well with his office staff and was pleasantly surprised to see many political leaders sign the book of condolence. He made particular reference to the fact that former Chief of Staff, Julius Debrah, broke down when it was his turn to commiserate with the family and colleagues of the deceased. “It’s a pity I did not meet him (KABA),” Ghana’s longest serving Head of State said.

DENIAL

Mr. Rawlings took the opportunity to again deny a trending publication on social media that he had referred to pastors who had no day jobs as thieves.

“People are taking undue liberties. I said no such thing. It is most unfortunate. But that is not to say that some of them are not unqualified to be holding bibles and preaching and misleading people.”

The former President also expressed his displeasure at the fact that what was originally established as a national monument for Dr. Kwame Nkrumah had been reduced to a family burial place by the reburial of Madam Fathia Nkrumah under the same monument.

Describing it as a deliberate political mistake, Flt Lt Rawlings said, “Nkrumah like a good number of patriots on the continent, had his enemies who disliked him with passion. He was not perfect but it’s a wonder he survived as long as he did with both internal and external enemies after him. He is the founder of the nation and does not deserve to have a degraded mausoleum.”

He wondered how persons claiming to be believers of the Nkrumah ideology looked on as his monument was desecrated, stating that the late First Lady could have been buried anywhere else on the grounds aside the actual monument where President Nkrumah was buried because it was a special national monument not meant to be shared or downgraded into a family burial place.

Members of the Rawlings office present at the meeting were Kobina Andoh, Dr. Donald Agumenu and Elikplim Katahena. Also present was Professor Jesse Shipley, a visiting American Professor.

The funeral of the late KABA will take place at the forecourt of the State House on Saturday December 16. He will be buried at the Osu Cemetary.

Source: 3news.com | Ghana

Supreme Court dismisses NDC MPs suit against Otiko Djaba

By | News | No Comments

Justice Sophia Akuffo presided over the hearing

The Supreme Court has described as incompetent a writ challenging the appointment of Otiko Afisa Djaba as Minister for Gender, Children and Social Protection.

According to the Court, lawyer for the two plaintiffs Godwin Tamakloe did not possess a valid Solicitor General’s license at the time of issuing the writ.

Therefore, it cannot hear the case.

Member of Parliament for Ashaiman Constituency, Ernest Norgbey, and the Member of Parliament for the Juaboso Constituency, Kwabena Mintah Akandoh, headed to the court in February this year, arguing that Ms Djaba could not occupy the position due to her failure to undertake the mandatory National Service.

Lead counsel for the Minister Nutifafa Kuenyehia raised an initital objection when the matter was called on Tuesday.

He said Lawyer Godwin Tamakloe lacked a valid license to practise at the time he issued the writ.

In his response, lawyer Tamakloe told the country’s apex court that he had applied for a renewal of the license but had not received it when he issued the writ.

“Did you have a valid license at the time?” Justice Sophia Akuffo, who presided over the hearing, queried.

Lawyer Tamakloe replied: “No”.

Consequently, the seven-member panel unanimously dismissed the suit.

By Selorm Amenyah|3news.com|Ghana

 

Application seeking discharge of Major Mahama ‘killers’ rejected

By | News | No Comments

The suspects are expected to be in prison a little while longer

An Accra District Court has rejected an application for the discharge of six of the accused persons standing trial for the murder of military officer Major Maxwell Mahama.

The Court presided over by Worlanyo Kotoku on Tuesday maintained that the Attorney General, who acted in the absence of the lawyer for the accused, needed to come with a written application.

The Attorney General had made an oral application for the discharge of the suspects due to inadequate evidence to charge the six.

They are Yaw Annor,  Philip Badu, Kwame Adjei, Solomon Sackey, Vivian Asahene and Anthony Amoah.

The accused are part of over 20 persons arrested for the lynching of Major Mahama on Monday, May 29 in Denkyira-Obuasi in the Upper Denkyira West District of the Central Region.

The military officer, then a captain, had been mistaken for an armed robber.

His death generated widespread condemnation to the extent that the town had to be renamed New Obuasi.

READ: Denkyira-Obuasi renamed New Obuasi

An endowment fund was set up by government to cater for the immediate family of the slain soldier, who was studying at the University of Leicester in the UK and was set to graduate.

Major M. A. Mahama

He was given a state burial on June 9, 2017.

His wife, Barbara, has since been sent on a foreign mission upon her own request.

Source: 3news.com|Ghana

 

EC boss runs to CJ for clarity on impeachment committee

By | News | 2 Comments

Mrs. Charlotte Osei is embroiled in corruption allegation and faces removal.

Chairperson of the Electoral Commission, Charlotte Osei, is demanding to know the composition of the Chief Justice Committee that is expected commence impeachment proceedings against her.

Mrs. Osei who faces removal from office over alleged impeachable offences has indicated her readiness to appear before the Committee to be set up by the Chief Justice Sophia Akuffo.

A petition issued in July 2017 by some unnamed staff of the EC claimed Mrs. Osei abused her office, caused financial loss to the state and breached Ghana’s procurement laws.

READ: Charlotte Osei faces removal over breaches of law

In accordance with the country’s constitution, they prayed President Nana Akufo-Addo to cause her removal from office.

Mrs. Osei denied the claims which she described as unfounded and accused her deputies, Amadu Sulley and Mrs Georgina Opoku-Amankwaa as masterminds of the petition.

Notwithstanding, the President forwarded the petition to the Chief Justice, Sophia Akufo, to first establish a prima facie case based on which impeachment proceedings would commence against the EC chair.

It emerged Monday that a prima facie case has been established on some of the allegations against Mrs. Osei who has since December 6, 2017 been invited by the Chief Justice to appear before a Committee for impeachment hearing.

Read: Charlotte Osei to Akufo-Addo: Provide petition seeking my removal

A five-member Committee made up of three superior court judges and two ordinary citizens is to be appointed and inaugurated by the Chief Justice to commence the impeachment hearing.

But Mrs. Osei in a letter dated December 11, 2017 and addressed to the Chief Justice raised some concerns including the fact that she has not been given official copies of the petition.

“I would also appreciate clarification as to the composition and the terms of reference of the Committee,” she stated in the letter.

She suggested inasmuch as she is ready to avail herself to the impeachment proceedings, she would not compromise on her constitutional and legal rights.

“I will honour the invitation to appear at the scheduled time and the date but this is without prejudice to my constitutional and legal rights,” Mrs Osei indicated.

Meanwhile, She said she has since August 16, 2017 given a written response to the allegations as was contained in the statement and same submitted to the CJ with the relevant documents.

By Stephen Kwabena Effah|3news.com|Ghana

Charlotte Osei to Akufo-Addo: Provide petition seeking my removal

By | News | 6 Comments

Mrs. Osei who faces impeachment wants the President to provide her with a copy of the petition against her.

The Chair of Ghana’s Electoral Commission, Mrs. Charlotte Osei, has requested President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo to furnish her with a copy of the petition seeking her removal from office for alleged breaches of the law.

Some unnamed staff of the Commission in July 2017 petitioned Nana Akufo-Addo to remove Mrs. Osei over alleged abuse of office, causing financial loss to the state and breaches of Ghana’s procurement laws.

The petition was then forwarded to the Chief Justice, Sophia Akuffo, to establish a prima facie case based on which impeachment proceedings would commence against the EC chair.

READ: Charlotte Osei faces removal over breaches of law

Sources close to the CJ’s office has revealed to 3News that a prima facie case has been established on some of the allegations against Mrs. Osei who has since December 6, 2017 been invited to by the CJ to appear before a Committee for the impeachment hearing.

But ahead of the hearing before the CJ-established Committee, Mrs. Osei on Monday, December 11, 2017 wrote to President Akufo-Addo and the CJ to make available to her, a copy of the petition, which is the basis of the impending proceedings against her.

In her letter to the President, Mrs. Osei suggested the petition, which was presented to the President by legal practitioner Maxwell Opoku-Agyemang, was brought to her attention through media reports.

“Respectfully your Excellency, I would appreciate being furnished with a copy of the said petition to enable me obtain the requisite advice I may need on the matter,” she requested in the letter.

In a similar letter to the CJ, she said she has since July 2017 when the petition was filed, not received a copy, noting  what she had from the CJ was “a statement of the allegation against me”.

She said she has since August 16, 2017 given a written response to the allegations as was contained in the statement and same submitted to the CJ with the relevant documents.

The EC chair said a letter from the CJ dated August 3, 2017 stated that the President has forwarded the said petition to her (the CJ) to “determine whether or not there is a prima facie case raised by the petition pursuant to Article 146(3)”.

“I have heard no further” from the Chief Justice since August 16, 2017, Mrs. Osei said in her latest letter to the CJ dated December 11.

By Stephen Kwabena Effah|3news.com|Ghana

Sadia will tell our story… through different Ghanaian languages and cultures

By | News | No Comments

On Friday 08 December, we officially launched our uniquely Ghanaian Soap Opera — Sadia — which premieres on TV3, today Monday 10th December 2017 at 8PM on TV3. Overwhelmingly, the general public is excited about having an authentic and refined Ghanaian alternative to the plethora of foreign telenovelas that have flooded TV channels in Ghana.

Sadia is one of our biggest projects to date and speaks to Media General’s commitment, as Ghana’s leading media organisation, to promote local content and lead a call to action to drive change in the industry — by promoting our very own.

Since the launch on Friday, we have been highly commended by different stakeholder groups and the general public for taking this bold step not only to promote local content on TV3, but also to give to give opportunities to the Ghanaian creative arts industry.
We have had some amazing suggestions and comments, especially on Social Media, to include different languages to tell a holistic Ghanaian story. These comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated — majority of them are already part of the plot and will be revealed as the story unfolds

Sadia is a 100 episode Soap Opera produced by Ghanaians for Ghanaians. It embodies our rich culture and uses languages from different parts of the country to tell a compelling Ghanaian story.
Viewers are assured of a riveting drama series that will capture their hearts and tell their story.
Catch Sadia every Monday and Tuesday at 8PM on Ghana’s leading free-to-air television, TV3 and follow the conversation on Social Media with #Sadia

 

Richard Ahiagble (Group Head – Corporate Affairs)

No arrest in Bunkpurugu/Yunyoo murders as police beef up security

By | News | No Comments

The police have beefed up security at Najong No. 1, a community in the Bunkpurugu/Yunyoo District after four people were killed there on Sunday.

Some unidentified gunmen numbering about eight on four motorbikes attacked traders at a market and fired indiscriminately into them.

This led to the death of four people, injuring eight others including two women on December 10, 2017.

Addressing the media at the regional police headquarters in Tamale, the Northern Regional Police commander, DCOP Patrick Adusei Sarpong said a joint police and military force have been deployed to the area with the CID homicide unit from the national headquarters in Accra to help in investigation.

No arrest has been made yet, he said.

DCOP Sarpong appealed to individuals who have any information to assist the police to arrest the perpetrators.

In a related development, DCOP Patrick Adusei Sarpong revealed that the case involving six suspects who were arrested with six pump action guns, has been transferred to the police headquarters in Accra for further investigations.

The six are the driver Haruna Issah 30; Jabok Nwoyo, 37, a farmer; Daasu Suuk, 30, wife of Nwoyo also a farmer; Teku Kwabena, 30, a farmer; 42-year-old farmer Frank Fuseini; and Thahiru Ayariga, 55, also a farmer.

According to the regional commander, his outfit is aware there are some unregistered arms in the Northern region and everything is being done to retrieve them in order to make the region safer for law abiding citizens.

By Zubaida Ismail |3news.com

[Gory photos] Man butchers his pregnant girlfriend to death, attempts suicide

By | News | One Comment

It was a traumatic scene early Sunday when a man believed to be in his twenties, butchered his pregnant girlfriend to death and attempted suicide at Asankragua Newtown in the Western Region.

It’s unclear what provoked Felix Kwabena, a galamsey operator, to murder his girlfriend, Abena Nafisatu, who is four-month pregnant but neighbours say the two who are from the Upper East, had a disagreement over the pregnancy the night before the incident.

According to the neighbours, Kwabena denied responsibility for the pregnancy, claiming that Nafisatu was seeing other guys in the town who always phoned her, Michael Assan of Royal FM told 3news.com.

That, the witnesses say, degenerated into a quarrel, which they suspect caused Kwabena to butcher Nafisatu to death at about 5:40 am Sunday, Assan reported.

Shouts for help were heard from the room of the two, causing neighbours to break into the room but only to find Nafisatu lying dead in a pool of blood. Nafisatu had been slashed with a machete five times; three in the neck, one in the forehead and one stomach.

The body of Nafisatu who works with a local eatery (chop bar) in the town has been deposited at the Enchi Government Hospital. Kwabena’s throat was also slashed in what is said to be a failed suicide, our correspondent reported.

He is in critical condition at the Asankragua Catholic Hospital under strong police protection, our correspondent reported.

By Stephen Kwabena Effah|3news.com|Ghana

View gory pictures below at your own discretion

I never said pastors without jobs are thieves – Rawlings

By | News | 5 Comments

Jerry John Rawlings

Former President Jerry John Rawlings has again been forced to purge himself of false attributions that sought to pitch him into others.

The latest of such attributions is a widely circulated post on social media, suggesting that pastors without jobs are thieves.

“Paul was a tent maker, Peter was a fisherman, Jesus was a carpenter. If your pastor has no day job, he’s a thief,” the post described by the Office of the former President as “fictitious” stated.

The claim also appeared on “fake” Facebook and Twitter accounts of the former president.

The statement from the former president’s office said the official Facebook and Twitter accounts of former President Rawlings are: https://web.facebook.com/President.J.J.Rawlings/ and https://twitter.com/officeofJJR.

“Members of the public should disregard posts from all other accounts purporting to belong to the former President.”

Meanwhile measures are being put in place by Mr. Rawlings’ office to forestall the reoccurrence of fake attributions.

“The verification of the official accounts is in progress and will be concluded shortly,” the statement said.

By Isaac Essel |3news.com|Ghana

Farmer jailed 12 years for impregnating his daughter, gives her HIV/AIDS

By | News | No Comments

File photo. The 15-year-old defiled girl now has HIV/AIDS

The Agona Swedru Circuit Court has sentenced a 40 year-old farmer to 12 years in jail after defiling and impregnating his 15-year-old daughter.

The convict, Abubakar Osumanu, a cocoa farmer at Akorakese, near Akim Oda, a cocoa community in the Eastern Region, confessed and pleaded guilty to the charges of incest and defilement.

Police Chief Inspector Isaac Amon told the court presided by Michael Cudjoe Etumi, that an endorsed medical report confirmed the state of the victim.

The Prosecution said another medical report also confirmed that the impregnated schoolgirl has been infected with HIV\AIDS virus.

Chief Inspector Amon said the victim lives at Nsusososo, a suburb of Agona Swedru, with the complainant.

The prosecution said the victim is a daughter to the accused who often comes over during the weekends for money for school.

He said, as the accused does not live with the mother of the victim, he took advantage of her coming for money, to have sexual intercourse with her on various occasions in 2016.

Police Chief Inspector Amon said the victim reported the matter to her mother who in turn confronted the accused but he denied the accusation.

The Prosecution said 19th November 2017 at about 1900 hours, the accused came to Agona Swedru and lured the victim to Ken Diasco Guest House and had sex with her.

When she returned home around 0430 hours, she reported the matter to the complainant in the case (guardian).

A report was then made to the Agona Swedru Divisional Command of the Domestic Violence and Victim Support Unit (DOVVSU) and the accused was apprehended.

He later confessed his crime and pleaded for forgiveness.

Source GNA