The Bimbilla Police Commander, DSP Benjamin Aniah, says more people may have lost their lives after Thursday’s fresh crossfire.
He says though two bodies have been picked so far, “the possibility is that there will be more bodies”.
Gunshots were heard on Thursday afternoon after one faction in the longstanding chieftaincy dispute enskinned a warrior king.
The capital town of the Nanumba North District has seen chieftaincy clashes for years now and, as a result, has been under curfew since 2014.
Almost three weeks after taking up the reigns, the government by Executive Instrument eased the curfew in Bimbilla by renewing it from 10:00pm to 4:00am.
But the curfew was scaled up with immediate effect from 4:00pm to 6:00am after Thursday’s crossfire.
Speaking in an interview on TV3’s News 360 on Thursday, DSP Aniah said the police had wind of the enskinment and warned the leaders involved against the move given the security situation in the town.
“[But] they didn’t heed to our advice,” he observed.
He said arrests have been made so far though he was not definite about the number.
DSP Aniah announced that personnel reinforcements from Tamale and Yendi have been sought with a joint police and military taskforce on patrol.
He lamented the situation, saying several persons have sustained injuries with the Bimbilla Government Hospital overstretched.
By Emmanuel Kwame Amoh|3news.com|Ghana