News

Pathologist ‘snubs’ court over post-mortem report of JB Danquah

The late MP

A pathologist has ‘refused’ an order of an Accra Magistrate to release a post-mortem report on the former member of parliament for Abuakwa North, J.B. Danquah-Adu, who was murdered last year at his residence.

Dr Lawrence Adusei of the Pathologist Department of the Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital in Accra was ordered to make available the full post-mortem report to the court by Friday, November 10, 2017.

When the case, in which two persons are standing trial resumed Friday, prosecutors informed the court that they were yet to receive the post-mortem report from the pathologist, though he was said to have been duly served with the October 10, 2017-order.

TV3’s Selorm Amenya reported Friday that, DSP George Amegah told the court the head of the Homicide Unit of the Ghana Police confirmed the pathologist was served with the order.

He said the magistrate, Arit Nsemoh, was not happy about the development, and consequently issued another order to Dr. Adusei to personally appear before the court on November 21 with the post-mortem report.

It is unclear why Dr. Adusie did not make available the full post-mortem report to the court as per the order.

Dr. Adusei was queried by another Magistrate in October this year for failing to issue a post-mortem report on the late Major Maxwell Adams Mahama, five months after he was murdered by some people of Denkyira Obuasi in the Central Region.

He was reported to have told the court at the time that the Police had refused to pay him for his services for the past 10 years, which he said had frustrated his work.

“I am supposed to be paid GHS 5 for every autopsy that I do and also GHS10 when I testify in court, but for 10 years now, I have not been paid,” he was quoted to have told the court.

It is not clear whether his failure to provide the report on the late MP has to do with the Police’s indebtedness to him.

Meanwhile the case has been adjourned to November 21, when the pathologist is expected to personally appear before the magistrate.

Daniel Asiedu and Vincent Bossu, who were arrested as the prime suspects in the stabbing to death of Joseph Boakye Danquah-Adu, were discharged last Tuesday, May 30, 2017 following a nolle prosequi filed by the Attorney-General.

No reasons were given by the Attorney-General in filing for no-interest in the case at the high court.

But on Thursday, June 1, an Accra District Court remanded the two prime suspects in police custody on two counts of abetment of crime to commit murder and murder.

They are currently going through indictment proceedings.

By Stephen Kwabena Effah | 3news.com | Ghana

Leave a comment below
Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Close