All posts by Martin Asiedu-Dartey

Ghana to lose $600m over human trafficking if…

By | News | No Comments

Ghana stands the risk of losing some $ 600 million annually from the United States aid if it continually fails in its fight against human trafficking.

The country is also likely to remain on the tier 2 watch-list for the third consecutive time following the US State Departments human trafficking report for 2016.

Interior minister, Ambrose Dery, expressed these fears at the handing over of six vehicles to the police anti-human trafficking unit in Accra.

In spite of the sustained fight against the menace, Ghana continues to be considered as a source, transit and destination country for human trafficking.

The inability to rescue victims, arrest, prosecution and convict perpetrators, led to Ghana dropping from tier 2 to the tier 2 watch-list in the US department on trafficking in-persons report for 2014 and 2015.

The police anti-human trafficking unit in February this year, rescued at least 24 children from the Volta lake but Chief of Missions at the International Migration Organization (IMO), Sylvia Lopez-Ekrah, says efforts should not be tailored towards reversing the ranking but rather the welfare, safety and protection of the vulnerable.

The IMO, later pledged support for the fight by providing six vehicles, computers and its accessories valued at 185,000 dollars to support the work of the anti-human trafficking unit of the police service.

The support formed part of the child protection compact agreement reached between the governments of Ghana and the United States of America in 2015.

It is also part of a grant of 5 million dollars by the US government to support Ghana in the fight against human trafficking over a five-year period.

The Inspector General of Police, David Asante-Apeatu, called for a sustained and collaborated effort in the fight against human trafficking.

Minister of interior Ambrose Dery feared a third time tier 2 watch-list would spell doom for the country’s fight against the menace.

The vehicles are to support the anti-human trafficking units in the Greater Accra, central and Volta regions.

By 3news.com|Ghana
Twitter: @Newsontv3

Your weekends will never be the same on TV3

By | Showbiz | No Comments

TV3 Network Limited has over the years graced your screens with great quality soap operas aimed to create, develop, produce and broadcast innovative and quality television content.

The likes of Acapulco Bay, Quando Seasmia, Juana La Virgin, are the many if not the least of entertaining, amusing but educative soaps that have previously flooded our screens.

These soap operas have also become a significant presence on cable and have served an avenue to incorporate ones relaxing moment and an educational platform that is fairly relatable to our everyday life.

The plots in these telenovelas have gripped viewers in the past years and with the said span of time, have proven beyond imagination your immense patronage of our soap operas. We have brought to your screens an exciting pack of telenovela that will keep your every night exciting and intriguing.

These feature timeless stories from different genres, selecting only the best soap series that are contemporary, loved and renowned by a worldwide audience. This also includes famous stars from Latin AmericaMexico and all over the world.

Do Not Love Me So Much, Love, Italian Bride, Bridges of Love and Miss Dynamite are the many that have taken center stage of discussion with regard to our entertainment segment. We have got you covered during the weekdays as Italian bride graces your screens at 5:00pm.

Your Tuesday and Wednesday evening will be swept away as love ushers you to a hub of emotions and desires.

Bridges of love makes bare the demarcation between love and riches and your Sundays couldn’t have been any better at 8:00 pm to 10pm, whereas Miss Dynamite uncovers the truth behind a love full of mysteries.

This year promises a colorful on air materials that will keep you glued to your set. TV3 first in news, best in entertainment.

Sonia Moffatt|TV3|Ghana
Twitter: @NewsonTV3

Ghana’s power mix to have 10% renewable sources by 2020

By | Business | No Comments

Ghana’s power generation mix is expected to include 10 percent of renewable energy sources by 2020.

At a SWITCH Africa green national networking forum in Accra, Environment, Science, Technology and Innovation minister, Professor Frimpong Boateng, pledged to introduce varied sources of renewable energy during his tenure.

Though Ghana has committed to universal electricity access by 2020, the capacity to meet this goal depends on adequate and reliable power supply.

The World Bank and the European Union (EU) have both embarked on several lending options over four decades to support Ghana’s power sector.

The Wholesale Power Reliability Assessment report in 2010, estimated that Ghana loses between 2 and 6 percent of GDP annually due to inadequate and unreliable power supply; hence the need to diversify the energy mix.

In pursuance of this, the 2017 Budget proposed reduction of taxes to facilitate the acquisition and use of green energy.

Professor Frimpong Boateng, promised the use of alternative energy sources by the year 2020 indicating that “it’s the governments commitment to increase the percentage of alternative energy. For now I think we have the technology to harness wind energy, solar energy and biogas into the national grid.”

Ghana’s energy mix currently relies very little on renewable sources. SWITCH Africa Green Project, developed and funded by the European Union is aimed at supporting African countries in their transition to an inclusive green economy.

Apart from various energy sources, locally manufactured green technologies were display at the forum.

By 3news.com|Ghana

 

 

 

 

All ten regions to have online passport offices – Veep

By | News | No Comments

Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia

Government says it will set up online passport offices in all ten regions of Ghana to ensure that passport acquisition is decentralized and stress free.

According to government this new process will not compromise on the security features of the passports.

This was revealed by Vice President, Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia, when he paid an unannounced visit to the passport office in Accra where he also interacted with some applicants who had gathered there, some for several hours.

Addressing the media during the visit Dr. Bawumia said “It’s very clear that we need to move from the manual processing to an online processing of passports and we also need to make sure that every region has that capability to do the online processing.

“So that we abandon the manual and move to online and you can then have much quicker delivery of passports across the country. People are suffering too much just to get a passport.”

The Vice president said government has already initiated steps to ensure a successful decentralization of the process indicating that “the Foreign Minister is so much on top of this issue, the directors here are very much thinking about the changes that we want to bring on board and some of these changes are already beginning.

The immediate past government initiated the online passport application system where the entire process has been digitized.

His lamentation however was that only one place has the enhanced facility which is the passport office in Accra. He said “we only have one online processing center in Ghana which was opened in November and that is here [Accra passport Office] but if we can do across all ten regions, we believe that people will have their passports much quicker.

“This is what we’re going to hold them responsible for and also provide the resources needed to allow the extension of these services across the country.”

By Martin Asiedu-Dartey|3news.com|Ghana

“Terror” attack near UK Parliament: Police officer ‘stabbed’

By | World | No Comments

A police officer has been stabbed in the Houses of Parliament in central London, in what police are treating as a terrorist incident.

Commons Leader David Lidington told MPs the “alleged assailant was shot by armed police”.

There are also reports of as many as five people being “mowed down” on nearby Westminster Bridge.

MPs said they had heard three or four gunshots. A Downing Street source said Prime Minister Theresa May was “OK”.

Prime Minister Theresa May was seen being ushered into a silver Jaguar car as what sounded like gunfire rang out at Parliament during the incident.

Staff inside Parliament were told to stay inside their offices.

Tom Peck, political editor for the Independent, tweeted: “There was a loud bang. Screams. Commotion. Then the sound of gunshots. Armed police everywhere.”

Source: BBC

I’ve not appointed a new Chief Fire Officer – Interior Minister

By | News | No Comments

Ambrose Dery is Minister for Interior

The Minister of Interior has dismissed reports that he has sacked the head of the National Fire Service, Chief Fire Officer, Dr. Albert Brown Gaisie and replaced him with one Kwame Kwartin as alleged by a newspaper known as Daybreak.

According to the Interior Minister, Ambrose Dery, the newspaper further lied that one DCFO William Jesse Mensah, the former Head of Operations had been asked to proceed on leave “unfairly”.

A statement released by the ministry has clarified the issues and called on the paper to publish a rejoinder and give it same prominence as it did the false story.

The statement from the ministry said the minister “has not appointed anyone to be Chief Fire Officer. The power to appoint rests with H.E the president.

“Dr. Albert Brown Gasie is still at post as the Chief Fire Officer duly appointed since 16th December, 2014….

“Mr. William Jesse Mensah, the former Head of Operations, retires compulsorily from active service on 12th September, 2017 prior to which he is expected to proceed on leave as due process requires. Consequently a letter was issued to him to do same, bearing in mind his annual and terminal leaves.

“It is worth noting that Mr. Jesse Mensah was given prior notice of his impending retirement in August 2016.”

The Ministry expressed sadness that the newspaper would politicize this simple issue of following due process by asking an officer due for compulsory retirement to proceed on Annual and Terminal leaves.

It said it was unfortunate that the “Chief Director, Mrs. Anno-Kumi is being vilified in a section of the media as a result of this utterly false publication. Mrs. Anno-Kumi is only a Civil Servant doing her duty and should be left out of this matter.”

By Martin Asiedu-Dartey|3news.com|Ghana

Gov’t to review ‘basic education’ to include Senior High Schools

By | Education | No Comments

President Akufo-Addo’s government says it will review the concept of basic education to include Secondary Education which would cover technical, vocational and agricultural teaching.

Government says it would make the education more practical to ensure that pupils acquire the requisite skills needed to be able to establish themselves after school and not become passive and dependent citizens.

These were contained in the first budget read by the Finance Minister, Ken Ofori Atta to the House of Parliament on Thursday March 2, 2017 where he indicated that basic education should not only be a place to get a certificate.

He said “as part of this initiative, Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) would be used as a tool for placement of students into second cycle schools and not for certification.

“To improve the quality and relevance of education and further make the products of our school systems competitive, government would review the basic level curriculum to focus on the four R’s – Reading, Writing, Arithmetic and Recreation to include Life Skills and Creative Skills.”

He further indicated that “government intends to ensure that all our children have these basic skills when they exit the primary school system.”

Ghana already runs a basic education system but the current administration says it ensure that pupils and students acquire hands-on experience to be able to able to contribute to national development through the skills they would have acquired.

By Martin Asiedu-Dartey|3news.com|Ghana

Mahama & ministers save Ghana GHC 2.5m in pay cuts

By | Politics | No Comments

The 10% pay cut announced by former President John Mahama in his 2014, State of the Nation Address to parliament for him and his ministers has summed up to a total of GHC 2.5million at the end of December 2016.

The amount according to TV3 sources has been deposited in a special account recommended by the former president to be used for the construction of Community-based Health Planning and Services compounds or CHPS compounds.

The Controller and Accountant General’s Department who confirmed this to TV3 indicated that the 10% deducted from the salaries of the former president and 52 ministers and other government appointees were deducted over a period of three years.

Head of payroll at the Controller and Accountant General’s Department, George Baah in an interview with TV3 said “a monthly average of around GHC 52,000 accrued from the deductions.”

Mr. Baah however indicated that “as to the disbursement, who is in charge, whether it was indeed being used to finance the construction of those projects was totally out of my remit.”

TV3 checks with the Ministry of Health indicated that the coordinator for the construction of the CHPS compound operated under the office of the ex-president.

The source indicated that part of the amount has been used for the construction of the CHPS compounds but could not give any figure.

By 3news.com
Twitter: @Newsontv3

Mahama is African Political Leader for 2016 – ALM

By | Politics | No Comments

Former President John Dramani Mahama will later today – Thursday to be decorated with the African Political Leader of the Year Award in Johannesburg, South Africa for his contributions towards deepening and enriching Ghana’s democracy and his towering status as one of Africa’s best.

The African Leadership Magazine, organizers of the awards said “Africa has found in you and leaders like you, the perfect Apostles of Good Governance and Democracy, who would help in spreading the gospel to the rest of the continent.”

Mr. Mahama is also expected to be presented with the Georgia Congressional Commendation from the Georgia Legislative Black Caucus during the event.

The organizers say the award is in keeping with a tradition of presenting the positive sides of the African continent, which hardly finds space on the global stage, and celebrating exemplary leadership and individuals who have contributed to shaping the global perception of the African continent.

Chairman of the International Advisory board of the ALM Awards, Ambassador Joe Beasley said “it is gratifying to know that Africa still have leaders like you bestriding the political space.”

He also noted that Mr. Mahama made a significant contribution to Ghana’s economic growth and development; spearheaded and completed some ambitious projects; went into the elections and respected the wishes of the electorate – a feat uncommon amongst many leaders in the continent.

The former President will deliver the keynote address at the event on the theme of the Awards Programme, “How can Africa win the progress race?”

By Martin Asiedu-Dartey|3news.com|Ghana

Neonatal unit of 37 military hospital shutdown for 5 days

By | News | No Comments

The neonatal unit of the 37 military hospital has been closed down for the next 5 days for a routine fumigation exercise.

The unit would be reopened to the public on Monday, February 27.

The management of the hospital says the exercise would ensure the environment of operations is sanitized for better services.

Earlier, there were reports that some five babies had lost their lives at the hospital’s neonatal unit due to an infection.

But public relations officer of the hospital, Major Gariba Pabi has dismissed that information.

He explained the fumigation exercise is routine for all sensitive departments of the 37 military hospital which is scheduled over time.

‘‘I will tell Ghanaians that we have not experienced any mass mortality nor any infection at the unit. The thing is we are just embarking on a routine fumigation exercise to clear off insects and cockroaches that can have an effect on the health of workers and patients. The purpose is to make the place better off. The place is currently closed so by Monday it will be ready for use’’.

3Fm news reporter, Sarah Parku visited the place and reports that, three babies are still in incubators but transferred to other units for treatment.

By Sarah A. Parku|3Fm|Ghana
@Newsontv3